Monday, December 1, 2008

Coping with a loss

Yesterday, I wrote about the recent tragedy in Mumbai and how my thoughts and prayer are with the families of the victims of the terrorist attacks. Today, something hit me closer to homeAt this moment, my thoughts are of the family of Glen, a friend of mine, whom I found out this afternoon, took his own life. Each time that we saw each other, he always greeted me with a smile (it was surely the case for everyone else he met during his very short stay among us). But eventually, the subject of conversation was the state of our health. In normal circumstances, one would say "How are you?" and the reply would be at the very least "I'm fine", but in our case we both have epilepsy. The difference between us is that my epilepsy is under control and unfortunately, his could never be, despite countless attempts at a myriad combinations of medications. About a month ago, we took a nature walk and Glen, in his simple way, said, "It's good to get away from the concrete jungle for a few hours and appreciate what we have." Glen made me think of things in a whole new point of view. he knew how to appreciate the simple things in life.
Writing about Glen has helped me a bit, but I feel I can express myself better through a little text I wrote 20 years ago.

This one's for you my friend...

Saying Goodbye

Taking long walks down the back streets
Talking about what's been going on
Sharing our pain our sorrow
Looking to each other
I won't forget our great friendship

You've been there whenever I've cried
When the day seemed so dark and dreary
You made it seem so bright
Leaving is hard to do
Part of me will be soempty

You can be sur that I'll miss you
Even though I'll be thinking of you
Could you have stayed
And not gone far away
You knew as well as I do that...

Saying goodbye to a friend
Is so hard to do
Though I know
We'll meet again
Saying goodbye
Makes me cry





No comments: