Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My first prize-winning poem

About a month ago, I entered a poem entitled "To my uncle, on his 80th birthday" at www.alanfrew.com . Believe it or not, it was my first poetry contest, and to my delight, my first win! I must admit that I was hoping to win with this particular poem since it is dedicated to my uncle. And so, for your reading pleasure, you can click on the title of this post and read it, along with "For tomorrow", another poem that tied with mine, composed by a friend of mine. So kudos to Jacki for her win!



To my uncle, on his 80th birthday

Nothing could ever dim the shinning light,

Or put out the flame that burns within you.

Rain or shine, you have always been there,

Making life easier for so many souls in need;

Always a kind word to say to your fellow man,

Never does a day go by without a gentle smile.


Could I imagine my life without you in it?

Oh! I think not!

New tales are told in wondrous fashion,

New voyages are taken on the oceans of my mind,

Every time we meet at a crossroad of our lives.

Laughing, loving in the present moment

Like tomorrow would never come again

You are, and shall always be, the best there is.

© wordsthroughtime 2010

No comments: